New Denyse Schmidt Fabrics at Joann Fabrics and Crafts

{ image from Heather Ross’ blog }

Denyse Schmidt is working with Fabric Traditions to produce fabrics especially for chain stores, under the name DS Quilts. Be assured, though, that the fabrics are of a higher quality than typical chain-store quilting cottons! The fabrics are arriving now at Joann Fabrics and Crafts in the U.S. and Spotlight stores in Australia, and they will likely be in some other chains too. New prints will be releases throughout the year, and different stores will carry different assortments.

On Denyse’s Facebook page, she wrote that “the DS Quilts Collection is a studio line of fabric and patterns (the latter via McCall’s). We’ll be releasing new fabrics throughout the year (and hopefully beyond), as well as more patterns with McCall’s. I’ll also continue to design, new (and of course totally different) patterns and fabrics for independent shops. Look for new fabric from FreeSpirit in January 2012, and new DSQ patterns this fall.”

I’ve looked at two stores in the Austin area already and haven’t seen them yet — let us know in the comments if they’re in your area yet! See more prints from folks on Flickr here, here, here, and here.

1. Heather says:

A HUGE DS fan! I called my local stores around Los Angeles and it looks like it is going to be only at the bigger stores and will be arriving any week now. Also it will be with the Artists Collections in the back if that helps :)

2. I actually have a very small JoAnns store in my town, and so far my store has 5 yummy bolts! Will be going back in a few days to see if anymore has arrived.

3. jodi meenan says:

The one in Warwick, RI, as of 4/12, does not have any – no fairzees!

4. Ramona says:

none so far in southern los angeles….

5. Heather says:

Since you checked all the Austin area stores, I won’t bother driving as fast as possible to the ones near me. PS. I met your mother on Saturday. She was so sweet!

• Kim says:

Hi Heather! My mom called me right after that and was very impressed that someone knew who I was! I have to say I was too. How funny!

P.S. I haven’t checked the Slaughter store, only Round Rock and 183/Braker.

• I’m in the Round Rock area. I don’t *need* any more fabric enough to take the time and gas to get to Slaughter.

• Heather says:

I thought I would let you know that I was in the JoAnns at 183 & Braker and THEY HAD IT!! I was in a rush and just in there for interfacing….oh and I saw a magazine I had to have….and my kids needed to be picked up, so I couldn’t get any. Its on its own little bolt holder, towards the front of the quilty type wovens. Don’t buy it all before I can get back.

6. susan says:

checked a small joanns by me(northern burbs of chicago)and nothing but they were due to get a shipment of fabric today. i heard somewhere the 17th was the day for release??

7. Kori says:

There are 18 prints in the Santa Rosa, California store. Here are the ones I bought yeterday – http://www.flickr.com/photos/78717059@N00/5610637873/

8. Karen says:

I desperately want some of these, but since I live on the other side of the pond I think I have no hope ;-( If you hear rumours of it coming over to UK pleeeeeaaaaseee give me a shout ;-)

9. Faith says:

None in the western Chicago suburbs yet. Here’s hoping it’s on the truck for this week!

10. Angie says:

I got mine this morning! The lady at the cutting counter was NOT happy when I asked for a quarter yard of each.

11. Penny says:

Hmmm….any idea if this is coming anywhere in Canada? Like maybe Fabricland?

12. Cherie says:

Got mine this morning at the Joanns in Fort Collins, CO! They are lovely!!!

13. [...] and they told me the fabric will be available on their website mid-May! For readers in Austrailia, True Up says you can also expect to see the fabric in your Spotlight [...]

14. susan b. says:

I’m going to my JoAnn (SE Portland) in the morning with my fingers crossed!

• Violet Craft says:

Susan – I just got quarter yards of 15 of the prints at the 82nd Street JoAnn. Hoping to get my hands on a few more of the prints if I can get out to another store this week!

15. Polly Danger says:

I got mine as a super surprise at the Joann’s in Hilsboro, Or, of all places! It’s a tiny store and they usually don’t have anything great, so I was totally shocked to find these, especially because I had no idea they were coming! I’m going to make some really adorable bias tape from the tiny rose one- it’s in the washing machine as we speak!

16. Lorraine says:

I work at a smaller Joann’s store in the Willamette Valley (Oregon) and we got like 5 or 6 bolts on the shipment this past Friday. I loved the prints and the feel (and my excitement was increased when I saw Fabric Traditions on the selvage – I admit to not knowing prior to this post what “DS Quilts” stood for). I don’t care though – as soon as payday hits, I’m getting some!! They feel great and are right up my alley! :)

17. Alison says:

I got my hands on some at the Hurst, TX location tonight. The Grapevine location (much smaller) had received 5 bolts today, but I was looking for the dots in particular and they didn’t have it yet. I only saw a portion of the designs that I’ve seen on flickr so far, so I’ll have to make another trip over the weekend and see if anything else comes in. The prints are gorgeous!

• Dixie Polster says:

Alison, I was in the Hurst store on 4/14 and bought the end of the bolt of the blue/green dots. Hopefully, they will have more!

18. Erika says:

The Bellevue, WA store outside of Seattle is putting it out now as I type this! Can’t wait to grab some this afternoon!

19. Carla says:

The JoAnn’s in Overland Park Kansas has quite a bit…too bad they weren’t 30% off like most of the other quilting fabric. Wow! I didn’t even realize that they had cottons for that price…$9.99 yd!

20. Mary says:

Thankfully the quality is not the same as Moda! Her designs are cute, but the quality of the fabric is not there. Support your Local Quilt Shop!!

21. Fiona says:

Not everyone has the luxury of being able to afford up to $20/metre for fabric, so I have no problem with designers doing lines for the chain stores. Why not?

22. nikki says:

The larger San Antonio store (410 @ McCullough) has 2 bolts of all 21 prints. They’re on the first display rack when you walk in the store. There are also 5 different Farmdale prints on the rack behind the DS prints.

23. Jennifer says:

Denise is a SELL OUT!!! Just like many other great designers (of all things) out there. They sell out for the MONEY! Too bad Pablo Picasso isn’t alive still. Maybe we could buy some of his masterpieces at K-mart!

• marty says:

The fabric is not same as moda? i have seen many sub quality from moda lately so there not all that ,and most stores charge top $ for modas Korean made product when for that price you should be getting Japanease origin goods , stores like moda cause they get xtra margin selling for it for top price and making better margin, the customers the one getting shorted .buying a kia priced like a lexus.=Moda ?