Daily Swatch: Vintage Sheets

richardscarrysheet4

richardscarrysheet2

richardscarrysheet1

My little guy’s room doesn’t have a theme per se, but if I had to name one it’d be Richard Scarry. I love Richard Scarry dearly — revisiting all his books I can see he built the foundations of my tastes in art and design. So I will impose him on my son until he requests something else (but so far he loves it — you pretty much can’t go wrong with cars that are also other things).

I bought this sheet from eBay a couple years go. I love how of all things you could include for the letter C, he (or the textile designer) chose “crocus” and “chicory.” These sheets are rare as far as vintage kids’ sheets go, so if you want one, I recommend setting an email alert for yourself.

1. cb says:

i LOVE richard scarry! his books were one of my favorites growing up!! brings back childhood memories…

xo,
    cb
    ww.thecitybirdsnest.blogspot.com

2. Jen says:

I loved Richard Scary when I was a kid. As a kid in the 70s and 80s, I should have had those sheets.

3. amanda says:

WOW!! We are RS nutzos around here, too. Actually, as I was sitting here, my 3 year-old came out to ask, “Where’s my Busy People book, Mom?” She sleeps with it every night (after Daddy reads it to her).

4. grace says:

We love Richard Scarry too. JUST finished reading my 4 yr old her bedtime story… Richard Scarry. Huckle had his tonsils out….

5. weeks ringle says:

How did I not know that there were Richard Scarry sheets?! I have never purchased any character goods for our daughter but was outbid, when she was little, on a plush Lowly Worm/Apple Car toy. Lowly is our favorite because he wears just one shoe, not two, one. And when Huckle had his tonsils out Lowly had a hospital gown with a gazillion ties down the back that cracked us up. Our daughter turns 9 next Friday but she won’t give up her 3-foot tall Richard Scarry word book and I’m happy to hold onto it for the memories of that time in her childhood. Thanks for the nostalgia Kim.

6. Holly says:

Richard Scarry’s books are a staple of my daughter’s library! Not a day goes by without stories of Lowly Worm and Huckle. We’ve been lucky lately and found several great books at used bookstores.

7. Sarah M says:

You would have to have a heart of stone to NOT love Richard Scarry – what a great find! And all of you who are holding on to those books, let me tell you they never go out of style. My daughter loves them just as much as I did (35 years ago), and I will save them for her kids.

8. Rhea says:

I would love to drive the dill-pickle car to work, myself.

9. Judy R says:

I had no idea there we Richard Scary sheets! Thse were my fave books as a kid, and now they are my 2 year old’s faves! So great!

10. I have this sheet. I sell sheets in my etsy store, but I’m saving this one for myself. I’m in love with it. Glad to know I’m not the only one who appreciates Mr Scary.
    Anna

11. lisa says:

I know that cat!

I actually had these sheets as a child… I still have and use the pillow case too, when I go camping. I don’t remember the sheets as much as the pillow cases, but we must have one to have the other, right?

Is it odd though, that my mom obviously bought these sheets for me, but I do not have any recollection of having or reading his books? I hear people talk about them all the time, but I’ve never seen a copy anywhere.

12. So good. But can you fit that sheet in your apple car?

13. Ellen Ban says:

My 25 old daughter looked at one of her Richard Scarry books so much when she was little it came apart. He’ll always be one of my favorite children’s authors! Lucky you to get some vintage sheets with those wonderful drawings and characters!