Spring Quilt Market 2010: Alexander Henry – Santa Fe and Folklorico

alexanderhenry-santafe3

Santa Fe is Alexander Henry’s ongoing line of southwestern-themed prints; Folklorico is their Mexican/Day of the Dead/Catholic-themed line. These are from the “big black book” which means that they have yet to be produced and will be shipped to stores in about six months’ time. It blows my mind that these all come from the same artists!

santafe1

alexanderhenry-santafe4

alexanderhenry-santafe2

alexanderhenry-santafe7

alexanderhenry-santafe5

alexanderhenry-santafe6

alexanderhenry-santafe8

And from Folklorico:

alexanderhenry-folklorico6

alexanderhenry-folklorico4

alexanderhenry-folklorico3

alexanderhenry-folklorico2

1. Rossie says:

some of that fabric is pretty offensive, historically inaccurate and ugly. what are they thinking?

2. And some of it would look really great made into pillows for my giant, over-stuffed denim 80′s sofa!

(joking)

3. Mary says:

Wow, I think it’s fun and I don’t normally read into fabric design, I see nothing offensive, wondering what Rossie thought was offensive? If anything, it’s similar to many other western and southwestern art I’ve seen in a zillion places, esp. in New Mexico and Arizona. It’s very iconic.

4. Kat says:

That aztec fantasy (probably the one which offends) is like an El Azteca calendar transformed into cloth! Kitschtastic.

PS: I believe that the lead designers for AH are Hispanic. not that this will make any difference to the offended. I’m just saying.

5. Definitely interesting, but doubt I will be using that in any of my future projects, lol.

Debbie

6. kara mae says:

Yeah, I don’t have much opinion on it but am very surprised these motifs continue after all the increasing criticism they’ve come under lately.
    eg:

7. Marilyn McDaniel says:

The print showing the Indian (Navajo?) women with a black background appears to be one that I bought a few years ago from AH. Hope they re-issue it – I love this print.

8. angelune says:

I agree, my first instinct was that the teepees and “cowboys & indians” theme was offensive. If you think about what was done to native americans, you’d think fabric designers would avoid bringing up these issues. Would they have prints of slaves picking cotton?