2009 was a fabulous year for fabric. I’ve gone on all year about my favorites — now I want to hear about yours. But you know I couldn’t simply launch a meme for its own sake — I had to sweeten the pot a little! We’ll be giving away $25 gift certificates from True Up sponsors to participants every day through January 15.
Knowing what exactly qualifies is tricky, so I’ve tried to make it a little easier. I’ve kept an archive* on Flickr here. (You can also browse True Up posts in the Fabrics 2009 category.) Below, I’ve listed more than 20 categories that you might use:
- Favorite Quilting Weight Cotton Collection
- Favorite Home Decor Weight Fabric or Collection
- Favorite Under the Radar/Sleeper Collection
- Favorite Digitally Printed Fabric
- Favorite Handprinted Fabric
- Favorite Trend (Motifs)
- Favorite Trend (Colors)
- Biggest Fabric World Story/News
- Favorite Overall Designer
- Favorite New Designer
- Favorite Novelty Print
- Favorite Floral Print
- Favorite Geometric Print
- Favorite Print from [Country of Your Choice]
- Favorite Organic Print or Collection
- Favorite Holiday Fabric or Collection
- Favorite Juvenile Print: Boys, Girls
- Favorite Reproduction Print or Collection
- Favorite Solid/Nonprinted
- Favorite Fabric Shop
- Favorite New Fabric You Worked With in 2009
- Wildcard Category
To be eligible to win a gift certificate, simply follow these rules:
1. Pick your favorites in at least 10 categories, and post about them on your blog** by Friday, January 15. The list above is just a suggestion; you’re welcome to make up your own. Do your best to stick to fabrics that were first delivered to shops in 2009 — don’t worry, you won’t be disqualified for being a little off! Feel free to download my images from Flickr — just be sure to attribute the images to the manufacturers.
2. Somewhere in your post, link back here: http://www.trueup.net/?p=8500.
3. Post your link here.
Winners will be chosen randomly from the accumulated entries around lunchtime every day. Anyone in the world can enter. I’ll start picking as soon as the entries start rolling in. Please spread the word, and have fun! I can’t wait to hear about your favorites.
* The selection on Flickr is by no means exhaustive, of course — it sticks to the kind of fabric you typically see featured here, and is limited to commercial quilting, home dec, and apparel collections. Indie designer fabric and digital fabrics are a lot harder to pin down. I hope it’s a good start, though. Please let me know if you notice any glaring omissions.
Oh and, I listed the collections’ names on Flickr but it would have been way too much for little old me to include each individual print’s name and colorway. In most cases, though, that info is but a Google search away.
** Don’t have a blog? Hopefully you are on Facebook, or are willing to join just for this? There will be a place on the True Up Facebook Page to post your list. I’ll make sure your entry is counted.
If you’d like, you can grab the image at the top of this post. Here are some smaller sizes too: