Quilt Market Fall 2009: Schoolhouse

I got to see a few Schoolhouse sessions today — here are some pictures before I run off to the Fabric 2.0 party and Sample Spree!

niceyjane

Heather Bailey revealed her new line Nicey Jane, as well as some new patterns and wool felt. Heather explained that Nicey Jane is a story told through the prints of a girl going out on a date to weekend dance. It is extremely sweet and pretty and the sample dresses she made just killed me. Speaking of, Heather said she only received her fabric two and a half weeks ago so the huge array of goods and possibly her gorgeous brochure was done in all that time. Yowza.

jenean

I also attended Jenean Morrison’s schoolhouse about her new collection California Dreamin’. She has said she’s been extremely nervous about these presentations but you would never know it. She seemed just as confident as her vibrant prints, which by the way look so great in person. Jenean mentioned that she was hired by FreeSpirit to do small prints, but that she “snuck” some larger scale medallions into this line. She also said she likes to make prints that look far different if you back up and look at them from a distance — one of the new prints has a distinct diagonal stripe but only if you’re standing way back. Oh Jenean, you are so smart!

feedsack1

The other standout Schoolhouse was Gloria Leonard Hall (that’s not her in the picture though), who has a line of feedsack reproductions called Feedsack Melody coming out with Andover Fabrics. Gloria has been collecting and dealing feedsacks for 20 years — she has 10,000 feedsacks in her collection today. She is one of the leading if not THE leading expert on feedsacks and her half hour talk covering feedsack history was incredible. I cannot wait to talk to her more and share more of what I learned today.

More photos to come.

1. Jennalou says:

Lucky you!! Can’t wait to see more.

2. Becky says:

I wish we had a big fabric event like that nearer me! I am so pea-green with envy!

Continue having fun for those of us who can’t be there!

3. Audrie says:

Can’t wait for Heather Bailey’s new line!

4. Michelle says:

As someone who loves fabric and buys a lot of it, but who has no connection to the business side, I am thrilled that you are doing this. It is so interesting to read these posts!

5. Mary Beth says:

Wheee! Oh, it sounds awesome already! Hope you had fun at 2.0 and the sample spree.

Can’t wait to hear more about Feedsack Melody (mmmm, feedsacks) and see more pictures of everything!

6. Jen says:

That place looks like heaven!

7. Yvonne says:

I am definitely interested in hearing more about feedsacks.
    Your reporting from Quilt Market is awesome!! Thank you :)

8. Joanna says:

Thanks so much for taking the time to post and share – it is a real treat to see the show & especially to see the designers launching their new work. I really appreciate your blog which I discovered recently so THANKS and keep up the good work:-)

9. Kelly says:

Wow – you got some good shots of the schoolhouse presentations despite the tricky lighting in those rooms. I was completely blown away by how much those designers pull off in such a short span. Looking forward to reading more of your thoughts on Quilt Market. :-)

10. Susan says:

What did you bring me???

11. [...] original post here:+ True Up » Archive » Quilt Market Fall 2009: Schoolhouse By admin | category: school house | tags: board, building, closing-the-deal, [...]

12. allison says:

oh! i would do nearly anything to have been at the feedsack talk! do share, pretty please??? i am a feedsack fanatic. use them all the time in my letterpress & stationery work.