Heather Ross News

First the good news …

weekendsewing

Heather Ross‘ book, Weekend Sewing: More Than 40 Projects and Ideas for Inspired Stitching, is available through Amazon now. I got to see a proof at the fall Quilt Market and it’s a keeper. I can’t wait to get my copy.

primarylayout

Image courtesy Heather Ross

And, Heather has received the sample yardage of her Far Far Away collection from Kokka … which means it won’t be too long before it arrives in the shops.

Now the bad news …

I have learned that Far Far Away will be Heather’s last fabric collection for the foreseeable future.

Unfortunately, the terms of the contract that she has with the company that bought Munki Munki, her sleepwear brand, requires her to withdraw from retail fabric design for the length of their contract. Heather signed a non-compete agreement back when Munki Munki was sold, agreeing that she would not design fabric for any other apparel manufacturer. Only a couple years ago, when this occurred, the retail fabric market was largely brick and mortar, and there were far fewer cottage industry sewists than there are today. Having fabric collections that were primarily used for personal projects was not an issue. Since neither Westminster or Heather want to be in the impossible or un-fun position of having to try to control what people do with her fabric, Heather has decided it’s best to stop designing for that market altogether. Ironically she originally sold Munki Munki so she could focus on fabric design and writing.

Sadly, that means Craft Bazaar, the collection with the clothespin people that was slated to come out this spring, is presently shelved. (Mendocino will be available while it lasts — there won’t be additional printings; Far Far Away will only be available in limited quantities.)

She hopes to be back as soon as she can.

1. amanda says:

That’s such a shame! When I started quilting a few years ago, Heather’s Lighting Bugs collection was some of the first fabric I bought. Her designs are so whimsical and fun. Guess this is an excuse to stock up on her previous collections!!!

2. dangermom says:

Oh, that’s terrible news. Heather Ross is my favorite designer and I was really looking forward to the clothespin people. Clearly I’m going to have to order a lot of Far far away.

3. Sam says:

Oh no!! Heather is by far my favorite fabric designer–this is a real bummer! How long is that contract for?

4. Alissa says:

Well that’s lousy! What a shame… Will have to buy up what I can while it’s around and wait out that contract or hope things change!

5. tia says:

I am so very bummed about this! Heather Ross is one of my very very favorite designers. Each collection she creates is so wonderful and such a joy to create with. I will stock up on the far far away to get em through. Any idea how long her stay of fabric design is going to be?

6. rosa says:

That is so sad. Heather’s designs are so different from anything else. I hope that contract ends soon!

7. Amber says:

oh no! What a bummer! I hope the contract is not too long! I love those little clothesline people! Far Far Away is adorable – guess that and Mendocino will have to hold us over for a while…wonder if I need to get more Mendocino?!

8. stacy says:

I checked out Weekend Sewing at the bookstore and really liked the book (so much so I went and ordered it from Amazon and am anxiously awaiting my package). I’m sad to hear that it will be awhile until she has another line of fabric – I really like her designs.

9. Melanie says:

What a shame she won’t be able to design fabric for a while. Her work is so sweet! I’m going to have to check out that book.

10. Thanks for reporting this Kim. I am going to share the news over on my blog.

Like everyone else, I’m wondering if I should stock up on Mendocino while I can – both for my shop and personal use.

11. sarah says:

I think this is really unfortunate. Heather is one of my favorite designers and I think that the company that purchased Munki Munki should see that her designs for them can totally stand beside her designs for Westminster. This doesn’t make me what to purchase Munki Munki more, it makes me what to boycott them. And honestly, I don’t think that those of us who purchase Heather’s fabric, can really afford $80 pajama sets in the first place. I don’t think there was much of a cross over market. I think all the company that owns Munki Munki is doing is hurting themselves by limiting the exposure Heather gets and thereby lowering the demand for their product. I hope her contract is up soon.

12. oh dear that is such sad news. i just love heather ross’ fabrics, they are not only beautiful to look at, but one of the nicest feeling fabrics around, they have such a lovely hand. perfect for apparel, quilting, and crafts. *sigh* i am going to have to stock up!

13. Jennifer says:

This is sad sad news because we will miss her designs greatly but imagine the fanfare when she comes back I for one will be breathlessly waiting…If you read this Heather we wish you only the very best..Jennifer

14. kate says:

Oh, that really is sad. Sad for me, my daughter I love to sew for, and especially for Heather. That must be even more heart breaking for her.

I, too, wonder how long the contract lasts.

Is Far, Far Away still being printed in quilting weight as well as double gauze? Brainstorming my shopping list for this lovely line!

15. kate says:

I, too, wonder how long the contract lasts.

16. Sarah says:

This is such sad news. I love Heather Ross. I’m so glad I just bought a bunch of her Mendocino collection. She is an amazing artist.

17. That’s such sad news. I wonder if she has regrets about signing the contract? Seems contrary to sign a contract that would limit your ability to work.

18. [...] don’t think I’ve yet mentioned how much this new broke my heart.+ No more new Heather Ross fabrics??+ The preciousness of every bit I own just [...]

19. Jessica says:

wow…color me hormonal! I am all teary eyed just thinking about it. I really hope that the foreseeable future is shorter than we think :)

20. Kristi says:

This is a shame. I agree with the above comments; we’re buying her fabric *because* we don’t want to payout $80 for pajamas, AND because her designs are adorable and the fabric is unlike any other in terms of softness and feel. Heather, if you read this, know you’ll be missed and that we’re on your side. I spent yesterday prowling around the fabric stores snapping up your stuff. Grr. Makes me mad thinking about it.

21. [...] We were so sad to read that you won’t be designing fabric for awhile. What is going to happen with the great clothespin doll fabric you designed?! Heather: The [...]

22. [...] the wake of the Heather Ross legal drama, I have been so much more appreciative of my Lightning Bugs quilt. I used nearly every fabric from [...]

23. This is devastating news. Heather Ross is one of my absolute favorite fabric designers and I was looking forward to future fabric lines.

24. [...] no. heather ross won’t be designing anymore fabric for a while! how can this [...]